Painting skies and skies in artists paintings

 oil

The Guardian have done an article on skies in art with some great paintings mentioned - here.

So I thought I'd trawl through some of my sketches of skies ................


Dawn at Sennen Cove, coloured pencil in moleskine sketchbook


charcoal
watercolour
coloured pencil
oil
charcoal and coloured pencil
oil

photo, early morning

water soluble brush pen

oil

oil

charcoal

coloured pencil

watercolour

We do have such lovely changeable skies and they are fascinating to try to catch - in whatever medium :>)  Done sitting on cliff tops, in the countryside, on the back of the car as it opens flat  ..... very comfortable when sketching alone if I can park with a good view.  Getting out there and looking is essential to understand the layers, the colours, the way light shines through from behind ............

And - if anyone is interested in the jewellery I've been designing and making, I'm beginning to put it on Etsy in my shop

These are some yet to be listed




Comments

Laura said…
Love seeing all of these together. Your range is so inspiring. How many times have I said that? I'll no doubt say it a few more times before it's all over;D.
Margo said…
What a varied gallery of skies. You are a wonder Vivian!
vivien said…
Laura and Margo - thank you :>)

Doing this made me decide to do a photographic skies project and revitalise my neglected photography blog.

I'll sketch skies as well - but aim to look at the different clouds and colours of times of day/seasons.
Bridget Hunter said…
Well worth the 'trawling". Wonderful observation

Popular posts from this blog

The Eye, Urban/Rural exhibition

playing with watercolours and coloured pencils

paint or sketch trees: challenge